Subject: Re: Re: Expiring Passport
For Americans living abroad, you should plan well in advance for passport renewals since the new security measures require that your Embassy or Consulate cannot issue them -- all passports must be from a domestic US agency. You can still go to your US Embassy or Consulate to fill out the forms and pay, but expect it to take a couple of months. If it is an emergency, such as loosing your passport while travelling abroad, apparently a short-term passport will be issued to you which you then must exchange for a real passport when you get back to the US.

According to the website of the US Consulate in Amsterdam:

Effective April 8, 2002, American citizens residing or traveling abroad who require issuance of a U.S. passport will be issued the latest, state-of-the-art passport incorporating a photo-digitized image and other enhanced security features. U.S. Embassies and Consulates will achieve this goal by transferring the passport issuance function to a domestic U.S. passport facility. This will increase passport processing times, but the State Department is committed to ensuring that American citizens receive secure documents in a timely manner.

Passport applicants in the Netherlands will continue to submit their applications to the U.S. Consulate General in Amsterdam with the appropriate fee and documentation. Application details are available at

American citizens are encouraged to apply early for renewal of expiring passports.

In emergency cases, limited validity passports may be issued which cannot be extended. Bearers will be required to exchange their limited validity passports for a full-validity photo-digitized passport upon completion of their emergency travel, either through passport facilities in the U.S. or U.S. Embassies or Consulates abroad.

above from

Erina Amsterdam