|Subject: Re: Penang Attractions|
Here are some additional attractions in Penang :-
1. Khoo Kongsi, Lebuh Cannon A refurbished Chinese house with intricate carving
2. Kek Lok Si Temple Chinese temple with pagoda
3. Wat Chaiya, Lorong Burma A huge reclining Buddha temple.
4. Forestry Museum, Teluk Bahang Located in forest
5. Hills around Balik Pulau. A drive thru this area cld be interesting Some forest views. Look out for clove and nutmeg trees. Also try the durian, known as King of Fruits.
6. Penang Hill. Take the funicular train up. Just for the view of Penang and see local vegetation.
7. Snake Temple Used to be where there were many snakes in this temple
8. Kampong Seronok, Batu Maung Batu Maung Fishing Village To view Malay village life.
9. Walk around Chinatown area. Old buildings etc...
10. Night stalls along Batu Ferringhi Hotels (near Golden Sands Hotel) Interesting to browse through eventhough a bit touristy. Souvenirs, clothing etc...
11. Gurney Drive - Plenty of stalls selling local food. Go in the evenings.
For Malaysians, Penang is famous for its hawker food and you find stalls and food courts throughout the whole city. However this may not be to your taste. Some are spicy. Try the Prawn mee, Fried Koay Teow (fetucinne), Chee Cheong Fun, Satay (chicken skewers+peanut gravy) Curry Kapitan
Try a variety of preserved nutmegs.
Some local websites
Hope this is helpful.
KS Chan Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia