Subject: Re: Planning for Paris
Suzie and Elizabeth,

When it comes to getting a pass for the Metro, the pass requiring a picture is the Carte Orange. It's a weekly pass that always starts on, I believe, a Monday, which may or may not be handy. There's a tendency for some ticket agents in Paris to try to convince tourists that they aren't allowed to buy it, but it's not true. I expect you can get a Carte orange at the tourist office not far from the Arc de Triomphe on the Champs Elysee as well as at most Metro stations.

You can get more info at but they've done their best to hide some good stuff from users who don't read French. In fact, they transfer you to a subordinate web site called cite' futee' that's not in English, see

I've not bought the Carte Orange myself, but I believe the photo goes on a separate sort of ID card, and that remains valid until you can't get away with the picture not looking like you anymore. We had the Underground pass in London that works the same way. In London we did get our photos out of one of those machines and it came with four identical photos so we have some left over for other passes if we need them. I assume Paris photo booths work the same.

On the other hand, you can just take some passport photos at home with your own camera and use prints of them; we did this with a digital camera for our daughter's actual passport using copies off our color printer, and that's pretty much what the photo booths do, too.

Regards, DAVE HATUNEN Tucson Arizona, out where the cacti grow