Subject: Re: Spare bag
Hi Megan,

The bags that you refer to as "Hong Kong bags" (plastic raffia with red, white and blue stripes) are called "refugee bags" over here! You're right - they are incredibly strong and lightweight and everyone here uses them for storage as well as carting stuff around. Last year a Swiss artist had quite a hit with 'designer' purses and other accessories made out of the same stuff (the catalogue said "...has succeeded in producing an item that embeds one of the cultural symbols of Hong Kong as a space of migration.") and now some of the top designer stores sell them for outrageous prices!

But...the age-old, standard "refugee bags" are still very cheap and very utilitarian.

Cheers! Judy in Hong Kong